Built in 1926, this project offered a common challenge: update an antiquated, incandescent lighting system with a minimal budget. An uncommon lighting and system design was developed to meet budget constraints by using existing fixture locations and wiring infrastructure.
The lighting control solution uses Electronic Low Voltage dimming, 0-10v dimming; and relay-controlled circuits with a Power Line Carrier DMX signal, which is transmitted over existing building wiring for precise, individual DMX fixture control.
300-watt spotlights were replaced with 50-watt DMX-enabled, 0% dimmable, individual-addressable track lights, allowing light to be tailored where and when it is needed. Track power can also be switched off to eliminate “vampire” driver loads when not in use.
After extensive testing, screw-in LED lamps capable of low range dimming on ELV dimmers were selected for the historical fixtures. All LED lighting is 90+ CRI, with flicker-free dimming to low levels. In addition to load reduction, LED fixtures significantly reduce air conditioning and maintenance costs. After completion, ambient lighting levels increased from approximately 2 footcandles to 8. Energy savings are at 80%; additional savings will soon be achieved by adding motion sensors. Payback is estimated at less than 8 years. To quote our project manager “…We made these lighting changes to demonstrate that our church cares about our impact on the Earth. The fact that the lights also make our church more beautiful is just an added benefit!”